As a long time bird enthusiast living in an established, well treed area, my perennial arch enemy is the squirrel. Black, red and grey squirrels are the back yard bandits ready to empty your feeders in record time. I have seen many “McGuiver” methods to attempt to protect the cherished seed. From pie plates, to greased feeder poles, the cunning seed bandit finds a way. There are a number of “squirrel proof” feeders, but they do come with limitations.
I have used a Brome – Squirrel Buster Plus bird feeder for over a decade. It is one of the only, truly squirrel proof feeders on the market. As an added bonus, it was invented and is still manufactured by a Canadian Company.
The feeder operates on a spring weight system. Openings in the outside section of the feeder (shroud) align with seed ports, providing birds access to the seed. When a squirrel climbs onto the feeder, its weight automatically forces the shroud down, closing the seed ports.
Initially, the price of around $100 may deter you, but when you review the benefits, it is well worth the price.
- Truly squirrel proof, so you save money on seed by only feeding birds
- Lifetime warranty on everything. So never any additional costs
- Holds 3lbs of bird feed, so you are not refilling it too often
- Feeder is engineered with good air-flow so the seed will stay fresh
- Dishwasher safe (if you really want to clean it)
- Well built, so it is even racoon proof!
- Economical – I have owned mine for over 10 years, so the cost is really less than $10 per year.
If you are ready to win the battle of the backyard and just feed the birds, you can find the Brome Squirrel Buster Plus at the following retail outlets:
Heritage Pet & Garden – New Hamburg
Sharpe’s Feed & Supply – Elmira
Jone’s Feed Mill/The Millers Stone – St. Clements
Conestoga Bird Feed – St. Jacob’s Farmers Market
Baden Feed & Supply – Baden