We would like to take this opportunity to introduce ourselves to the readers of the Waterloo Region Rural Post.
June 20th will be our 78th year as a business association. We now have over 100 members comprised of business owners and leaders in the community. Our base includes New Hamburg and surrounding area’s retail business owners, service providers, industrial companies, banks, and many community service groups and leaders from the Township of Wilmot.
This great non-profit organization is responsible for many local projects and events. Our goals are simple:
- Connect with our community in various ways…we regularly host festivals, dinners, information sessions, and parades
- Fund-raise for our ongoing projects (downtown beautification, park equipment upgrades, benches, and festive lights, to name a few)
- Support each other by sharing information, shopping locally, and networking with neighbouring businesses
- Volunteer in our community
- Participate as part of the voice of Wilmot, and get involved with issues that affect us
- Help ensure our community retains its charm and attractiveness, while supporting new business growth
You may recognize or may have attended some of our events!
Along with 9 monthly dinner meetings, here are just some of the events we host, or co-host
- New Hamburg Sidewalk Days
- William Scott Festival and Soap Box Derby
- Cruise Night in New Hamburg and Sidewalk Sale Days
- Santa Claus Parade (organized and run with our very own Optimists Club and Lions Club)
- Annual Golf Tournament (we recently partnered with the New Hamburg Lions Club and had a very successful day!)
- Canada Day Duck Dive …with a top prize of $1,000!
- New Hamburg summer flower baskets and winter festive lights
- Annual Harvest/Christmas dinner where we work with local suppliers and businesses to create a fabulous meal
New Hamburg’s iconic Waterwheel is one of our proudest and more recognizable endeavors. Enjoy a walk from downtown New Hamburg to our river path to view North America’s largest working waterwheel.
However, our real pride comes from the relationships that are formed by being part of our organization. We believe in supporting our community and supporting each other in our businesses.
The connections and relationships built here often last a lifetime. And some of our members continue to attend our meetings, and contribute to our success even after retirement.
If you have a business and would like to be part of our networking group, please contact us!
We have a few types of memberships, and being a member means you access local discounts for insurance as well as the Canadian Chamber’s rates for credit card, health insurance and other programs.
And finally, while not all of us have the time to volunteer for local events: know that your membership contributes to these projects and enhancements. And in the end, don’t we all want to live and work in a wonderful community? The New Hamburg Board of Trade works hard to, in our small way, make that a reality.